Pirate 4x4 banner

Yet one more sas

18K views 146 replies 34 participants last post by  mobil1syn 
#1 ·
I picked up an `87 runner to build up.

All the normal stuff: sas, rear lift kit, dual cases, 5.29s, aussie lockers, sliders, 35's, etc.

Between the parts a good freind had and scoring on a complete Marlin sas and rear lift kit, I am doing good $$ wise.

What I started with

I got this truck for parts.

Dual cases, front axle, tires and wheels! :D

See less See more
#7 ·
Trimmed front fender, tubbed rear quarters, don't tell me you got rid of the parts truck's doors...you gave up some great half door donors (with mirrors).

Parts truck has a straight DS fender and (uglystock) front bumper! You kept the dents for nice paint and chrome!!

Tube rear bumper, aftermarket tube shock hoops, drop front spring hanger.

You fawked up!!! :flipoff2:
You fawked up!!! :laughing:
You fawked up!!! :bounce:

Your new rig will be sweet....

but you still..

...Fawked up!!! :bounce2:

#8 ·
The "parts" truck was from New York and was quite rusty. The PO had cut the door hinges to make them "quick release" doors. He did such a bad job that the doors would fall off almost every time you opened them.:laughing: So I go to the JY and get new hinges. When I try to unbolt the old ones every single bolt broke off. We ended up welding the hinges to the body and the doors just to get them back on.:laughing:

#9 ·
MT4Runner said:
Trimmed front fender, tubbed rear quarters, don't tell me you got rid of the parts truck's doors...you gave up some great half door donors (with mirrors).

Parts truck has a straight DS fender and (uglystock) front bumper! You kept the dents for nice paint and chrome!!

Tube rear bumper, aftermarket tube shock hoops, drop front spring hanger.

You fawked up!!! :flipoff2:
You fawked up!!! :laughing:
You fawked up!!! :bounce:

Your new rig will be sweet....

but you still..

...Fawked up!!! :bounce2:
Both doors were very rusty. Did save the mirrors though.

Both fenders were very badly cut and NOT straight. The bolt up under the rocker by the door on both sides were rusted and we ended up welding those on so they wouldn't be flapping around for TDS.

Considered keeping the rear bumper but it was pretty well twisted up.

Shock hoops were welded on at the wrong angle and would have been more trouble than they are worth to cut out.

Front hanger was and OLD design that bolted on.:eek: We put some extra weld on before TDS also making it to much trouble to try to cut back off.

Kept the high steer though!:flipoff2:

#10 ·
EarlKann said:
Both doors were very rusty. Did save the mirrors though.

Both fenders were very badly cut and NOT straight. The bolt up under the rocker by the door on both sides were rusted and we ended up welding those on so they wouldn't be flapping around for TDS.

Considered keeping the rear bumper but it was pretty well twisted up.

Shock hoops were welded on at the wrong angle and would have been more trouble than they are worth to cut out.

Front hanger was and OLD design that bolted on.:eek: We put some extra weld on before TDS also making it to much trouble to try to cut back off.

Kept the high steer though!:flipoff2:
could just be my eyes but that housing looks tweaked.

#11 ·
I paid $1800 for the `87. It's an SR5 model and the A/C works! Passed smog with flying colors. I got the black one from Earl..I can't say how much...but it was a great deal. The black truck was a HUGE POS. Rust everywhere!! It looked good in the pics but not in person. Those parts you mentioned were either bent, rusted, or so poorly installed, that it actually ruined the parts!
I took it to Cal Mini and they took straight to the scrap pile....so that should tell how much of a pos it really was.

I already have 5.29's and lockers are on the way. I scored a complete Marlin sas and rear kit from a guy here on the board. The black truck had dual cases and a 4.7 gear set but the adapter is the old one bearing design. I got the gusset kit and the top brace for the front end. Now it's just a matter of putting it together but damn it's hot outside!

#17 ·
EarlKann said:
I'll introduce you to Jed! He is the one with all the tools and the flat driveway! :laughing:

Hey now!! Only one at a time!! :flipoff2:

Man, this ifs crap....is just that.... crap!! I started removing some of it tonight...what a pain. Should be done tomorrow.(ifs removal :rolleyes: )

#19 · (Edited)
oh damn, there is another Jed on the board...full name jedadiah, or Jared? Looks like you headed in a good direction with that runner...i dont blame you for tossing that other one, i cant stand anything rusty.

x2 on the bent front housing, or maybe its a fisheye lens on the camera?
-Jed #1:flipoff2:

#20 ·
Well, Hurry up.. Mine's gonna be a bit interesting.. if I decide to convert my 2wd yota to a 4wd with dual cases... :D If I don't, It'll just be a standard SAS on an 88 4wd... Take your pick.. Lookin good man! Lemme know if there is any help ya need.. Id love to learn more about SAS's and toyotas...
Scott

#21 ·
TacoJedbob7 said:
oh damn, there is another Jed on the board...full name jedadiah, or Jared? Looks like you headed in a good direction with that runner...i dont blame you for tossing that other one, i cant stand anything rusty.

x2 on the bent front housing, or maybe its a fisheye lens on the camera?
-Jed #1:flipoff2:

Thanks! It's actually a nickname. :p Along with a few others depending on who you are talking to!:laughing:
Yeah these guys are breaking my balls over a piece of shit!:flipoff2: I am telling the thing was rusty as hell.

Its the camera! I hope!!!:laughing:

Hey I am in a hurry but, It's hot!! I just got home from riding in Johnson valley (needed to get out of the house!:cool2: ). Nap time and then work begins.

#22 ·
I'm thinking that it is just the picture, cause that axle doesn't look bent in person. Will check it out anyway. Already have a spare just in case.:flipoff2:

Scott: Isn't it customary for people who want to learn and/or want help with an SAS to get out there and GRIND?:flipoff2:

#24 ·
Po' riggity said:
Well, hand me a grinder, and Im the first person to jump in my friend :D I'll be all over it... I love grinding!
Scott
Up from my nap. Saw your post......Get going! It's an hour away! Bring some clothes your can screw up. And grab Earl on your way. His ass ain't doing crap anyways! :flipoff2:

#26 ·
I did my SAS with (8) 4.5" cutoff wheels (no torch, no plasma). 4RnrRick did his with (7). You guys up for the challenge? :D

There's a lot of head-scratching involved with your first SAS. After that, you know exactly what to expect--Scott, good idea to help these guys.

Jed, post more pics! :flipoff2: (sorry...I don't even know rust in Montana--that possibility never crossed my mind!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.