Pirate 4x4 banner

1989 Toyota Pickup SAS Build

61K views 50 replies 25 participants last post by  Jordanhere123 
#1 ·
Specs:
1989 Toyota Extended Cab 3.0 V6. 210k miles on the clock (porlly more, speedo doesnet agree with larger tires)
3" body lift. (might be cut in half later on)
5" Trail Gear IFS Elliminator kit
5" Trail Gear Classic rear kit
1985 Solid front Axle, 5.29's, Quick lock locker
Stock rear axle with 5.29's and Detroit locker
15/38.5/15 TSL Boggers
15x10 American Racing Black Waggy Wheels
Here is pics as it stands Stock, then 3" bl with 33's, then 4" sus/3" BL on q-78 Tsls, then now same but with 35x14.50 boggers. All this will be finally removed fos the last picture.

== Merged Post ==
Okay progress. I have the front third member locked and geared.
All un needed brackets on the axle have been torched, and I welded the upper gusset in (took my time not to warp housing).
Last night i tore out the old rotors and wheel bearing races. Then drove in new Bearing races, put on new vented rotors, and put on the wheel spacers.
Tonight if i can get time I will try to polish the welds on the axle and paint her up along with the knuckles and steering arms. Once dry I will slap that axle back together.
I will get pics on assembly of the Front axle. I forgot my camera the last few time i worked and I was more worried about progress than pictures.

See less See more
#2 ·
Okay more tech. The previous pics of gear pattern was with setup bearings and the pinion depth was off when the new bearing was pressed on. Anyways i had decided to run it fubbared than i sadi fuck it i want it right. these pics are curret pics of the pattern.
Order of pictures are:
freshly painted housing with axle gusset welded in and ready for assembly
freshly painted steering knuckles
rebuilt/repainted factory aisin locking hubs
new fj rotors on Stock wheel hubs and wheel spacers to even track width with rear axle
remainder of parts to go back on/in the axle, spindle, dust sheild, shafts, etc.
Coast side pattern good imo
drive side pattern good one too.
a pretty 4cyl. thrid with a quicklock and 5.29 yukon gears properly setup.

#4 ·
I hadent welded it in yet. I want to get the truck rolling soon. The biggest rock we have here are the ones in our limestone driveways. but i will install the diff armer at a later date then touch it up. Plus all i have is a stick welder and i want to weld it in with a mig to control the heat better. that are is real thin.

#7 ·
Going to try to get the steering arms painted (i forgot :doh:) then get the axle all together this week. Then when i get a helping hand to cut out the IFS i will get it done. The grinding is what will take the longest. Im going to test fit my front hanger till i get a desirable shackle angle, I dont want a near vertical angle like TG says. I want my truck to have some compression and droop.
As for being tall I know a another guy personally who SAS his 93 and he is running marlins 4" kit and a 3" BL on 36 TSL's. He is about 3" taller than my current IFS setup(4" sus, 3" bl maxed out TB's) on 35 boggers. Ill play it by ear and see if i will need to remove the BL. I like the additional room for wrenching, but yeah i know i will be tall.

#8 ·
I did some more wrenching and got the Birfeilds packed full of high temp grease, put the gaskets, shafts, spindles, backing plates, ans outer spindle to wheel seall. here are he pics. 2 are the axle assembly, one shows the high steer arm

#10 · (Edited)
#14 ·
I had to pull shims out from the frevious run on the fisrt set of pics. The pinion was almost touching the carrier. when i pulled some shims off the pattern yeilded the best results. This is the front so i think it will be fine.
As for breathers it will have one. I did it to my IFS axle already, so all i have to do is swap the barb fitting to this axle and hook up the hose.

#15 ·
I havent updated this thread in a long time so here it goes. I have wheeled my truck about 5 times since the SAS but only one trip was trails. The rest was mud riding. Here are the rest of my pics from the build process over the last year.

Getting the IFS out and preparing to hang the front axle.

#19 ·
Longfield 30 spline inners and birfs. Bobby Long Hub gears and Marlin's super seals.

Marlin Crawler rear bumper and sliders installed

This is ordered and awaiting arrival for installation.

I still need to order my Tcase mounts and gear driven speed sensor from Davez. Driveshaft modifications will be performed by Hurricane Offroad LLC. in Lake Charles, LA

#23 ·
I like it other than the "Quick Lock". It made noise from day one and this past weekend I think T think I broke the locker. Or stripped engament teeth on the clutch of the locker. No mater what I do when I need wheel spin and give throttle the front locker sounds like a ratchet withe the front tires pulling then stopping. I have video of the mud hole it went out on. Just need to get it uploaded.
My advice is cheap lunchbox lockers, are Cheap! I guess 38's are a little too much for the "Quick Lock". I am upgrading to a detroit as soon as I can afford to buy one.

You have any plans for your old IFS lift kit?
The IFS is in my back yard with alot of spare parts. PM me for details.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.